You can either pass the username and password with each service call, or you can roll your own way of managing session. However there is no real difference between passing username/password or a token.

If you are trying to keep session based objects you are going to have to build an architecture to do so. I've been drawing out some designs for that sort of thing if you are interested hit me up offline.

-adam