Web services are only as stateless as the protocol (HTTP) makes them.

We've used an authentication token, much like a cookie, with great success.
We also have fairly expensive authentication/authorization operations which
are greatly streamlined by caching, so it was of great benefit to
authenticate as few times as possible.

A slightly different point of note is that all web service invocations on
CFCs happen "statically".  In other words, all your web service invocations
initialaze a brand new CFC instance for each request, call a method on the
instnace, and then it gets thrown away, never to be used again.

Cheers,
barneyb