> How about a server component that would somehow translate the location
> of
>  mappings/tags? I think that would allow you to setup a server once
> instead
>  of each individual project.

That would require that each project know what server to connect to
since a developer may want to have different projects deploy to
different servers. Further, it would require that the IDE be able to
connect to the server during development, which would be annoying on a
plane for example. Although, that could probably be solved with some
sort of caching/synchronization routine.

I certainly can see that it would be annoying to setup project after
project with the same settings. However, I am not sure what you are
suggesting is any better because of what I mentioned above.

-Matt