On Jul 14, 2004, at 6:38 PM, Spike wrote:

> I don't have a Mac to test this, but as far as I can remember, you and
>  Barney are the first people to say that Eclipse is slow on that
> platform.

Sean C. also mentioned this.

>  On windows, I find that Eclipse is slow to start, but that's probably
>  because of the number of plugins I'm using as much as anything else.

I've given this some thought & I don't want to start a flame war.

A Mac user gets used to a certain snappiness or rhythm between
mouse/key click and the resulting effect.

For example I have 9 concurrent overlapped BBEdit windows on the screen
Mostly programs but one is a 3.8 meg Itunes library.xml file).  Now, I
can click on the hidden portion of any of these and as soon as I click
the mouse button, this window is brought to the front (unmeasurable --
a fraction of a second).  BBEdit just sits there using 0% CPU cycles
until I do something.  Clicking a mostly hidden window bumps CPU to
1.4%, for a fraction of a second, then reverts to 0%

To compare, I have 2 Eclipse windows, side by side with no overlap &
both are visible.

When I click on the inactive window, it takes almost a second to
activate the window.   When I do this, Eclipse uses 21.0% CPU, then
drops to 6.0% then down to 0.4-1.50% where it cycles for a few seconds.

Realize, that I am not doing anything in either BBEDit or Eclipse --
just window front & window redraw.  The difference is even more
pronounced when keying/selecting within the windows.

The BBEdit model is the way most Mac apps work (Browsers, Word,
Excel,Photoshop, etc).

A Mac user will tolerate/expect a momentary delay when switching
between say active Excel window and an inactive Word window.  But
within an application, switching windows is (should be) instantaneous.
And, text entry within an app window is (normally) as fast as you can
type or paste.

There certainly are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

So, because of what a Mac user is accustomed to, in Eclipse:

1) switching windows is like switching pages in a book when the pages
are stuck together
2) typing/selecting/manipulation of content feels like you are wearing
mittens or have spilled a Diet Pepsi on the mouse keyboard

... It just feels slow!

Dick