Adam,

I'm with you on the plugins.  I had the same experience with foresite coupons in Able commerce.

As for CF Webstore - Mary Jo. has a great product - inexpensive with lots of features and easy to work with. More
features for the buck than 300.00 really deserves when it comes down to it. If you do a lot of small to medium single
tier e-commerce site you can make good money buying her software, adding a few customizations and launching a fully
functional ecommerce site with lots of features for the price - and it looks as professional as you want it to look <g>.
Let's not forget that for some things a slightly hoky site can sell quite well (ha). I'm tempted to add a couple of URLs
I know that sell gangbusters but don't "look that professional" (ha) - but I will resist.

What really drives most people crazy working with canned apps is the fact that it is not done the way they would do it -
it's not in their style.  No matter what the framework is, or how well commented it is - it still takes a good bit of
leg work just to run  something down in order to modify it. When, if it was done by you ... you would know exactly where
to go to change something.

The other issue is modifications themselves. It's hard to modify someone elses code and get it right. But embrace the
pain! Modifying existing code or adding a new application to an existing suite of applications - that's really WHY
contractors and small shops are necessary. If everything could be bought off the shelf.. if there were no "special
needs"... then companies like microsoft and AOL would own everything and we would all be automatonic grunt coders (ha).
Personally, everytime I see a new technology or a messy new standard or approach I simply thank my lucky stars.  If it
ever gets TOO simple we are all going back to flipping burgers <g>.

That's my take.

-Mark

P.S. Also, if you do a lot of ecommerce sites, Mary Jo offers a volume discount... so you make a little money on markup.