Ok if you XMlformat the entide WDDX string itd going to escape all the
<> in the WDDX . You could try something like this:

wddxstuff = xmlformat(wddxstuff);
wddxstuff =replace(wddxstuff ,'&lt;','<','all');
wddxstuff =replace(wddxstuff ,'&gt;','>','all');
wddxstuff =replace(wddxstuff ,'&amp;&amp;','&amp;','all');

Problem is if you have something like <description> 5>6</description>
the > is still not getting escaped and it will still blow up.

Adam H