This is very good advice.

The only thing I would add is that "standards" are empowering, and they
are, by their nature limiting [of creativity].

But, having used a standard [fusebox] you have realized beneits, and
you are in a advantageous position to migrate to its [r]evolutionary
replacement.

Stated more explicitly, [the standards] ASCII, BASIC, ForTran and CoBOL
(and the 8080 CPU) have created he shoulders upon which we stand today
(with mini-revolutions from NCR, ALWAC, Xerox, Amiga and Apple).

Exploit a standard for what it is -- but do not be mesmerized by it!

Dick