We had a similar issue a while back that was caused by (something) that
was changing users' CGI.REQUEST_METHOD from POST to GET on our login
page. Try building a small "sniffer" (that logs this information upon
unsuccessful login) that records this variable -- if it is being reset
to GET, that might be your problem. We read something about the HTTP
status 302 (moved temporarily) redirect issues, but it still didn't help
much.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to able to nail down the _real_ cause of
this, but we did notice that it was happening primarily with IE (5, 5.5,
and 6) on Windows XP. We built a script that told the user that
(something) was causing this, perhaps browser, firewall, etc., and that
until it was fixed, they would have to use an alternative browser to login.

Sorry that's not a great deal of help, but it might get you in the right
direction to a remedy.

-Dain