Thanks Michael, I did both of those things, and they apparently did
what they're supposed to, because there were no error messages,  but
then what?

I still can't get the administrator to work, because   it still wants
to download the index.cfm file rather than run it.

If i run the jrun web server configuration tool, it still doesn't
enable the OK button, still can't find any Jrun.   If I try to
manually configure the IIS5.1 because apparently the installAnywhere
routine doesnt want to,  I can't even add the .cfm file extension to
the configuration of the default site, because there is no .exe file
to add to the dialog box.

I still say there ought to be some information at macromedia.com to
help people for whom things dont go perfectly.   Like me.   I think
that's far more important than explaining what happens when it's a
perfect installation  for people who never need to see it.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month