No, free isn't the main consideration, but it certainly helps.
Not just the cost to me, but also to clients who want to
deploy my apps in-house...I can save them $1300 everytime
they want to buy an app.

If I replicate the app completely and don't have to change it
at all for each customer and allow them to customize it at will,
and they have a basic server, hardware and software from MS,
which they must have to get any use from the server anyway,
then they only have to pay for my app to use it.  No extra
$1300 investment.  I can sell a replicated app for $50 a pop,
and still make money with ASP.NET.  With CF, I've got to
charge $1350 to make $50 and watch sales dry up because
the cost is too high.  That's the biggest concern.

And the jump from static sites to dynamic sites, automated
use of email, etc, that I went to when I first got into CF 4.5
was a FAR greater jump than from CF 4.5 to CFMX 7.  As far
as I can tell, it's just more efficient ways to do the same things
that I do now.

The basics, create dynamic apps that users can can deploy
to add, update, delete, and report information is still the same
basic functionality.  I can create dynamic email newsletter systems,
and many other things that I've dreamed up, but not yet had
time to work on.

No, I don't see any reason to upgrade to simply better ways
to accomplish the same functionality.

As far as trusting software, cost doesn't determine value.
When I moved from Access, which did cost me money, to
MySQL a few years ago, which is completely free, I made a good
investment in software...and it cost me less to do so.  So just because
something costs more doesn't make it better.

No, I don't want to learn ASP.NET 2.0 and C#, but it seems that for
the future, for the reasons I've stated above, it will provide greater
ROI...and that's what we're all after.

Rick