I've watched many threads and have heard many discussions over the years with
regard to CFUnited. While the general consensus is that CFUnited is the best
CFML conference, many conversations like this latest thread have been unjustly
negative.

I've heard complaints about the cost for delegates, the cost for vendors, the
number and type of perks for speakers, the ownership of content and mailing
lists, the lack of sharing of proceeds from reprinted media, amongst numerous
others...

But what about all the positives? What about all the commitment and risk
TeraTech undertakes to deliver this show – bigger and better every year?

What about praise for all the hard work, time and dedication that Michael
Smith, Liz Frederick, the entire staff at TeraTech, and countless numbers of
volunteers (and even many “evil” vendors) expend to make CFUnited the
premier event for the CFML community?

What about consideration and thanks for the corresponding risk that Michael
Smith and TeraTech assumes by putting their name and fiscal responsibility
behind an event that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to operate?

So many people seem so eager to get their own slice of some imaginary
mega-usa-dollar pie that *must* be left over from such a large, popular and
growing event like CFUnited. People ask for their slice as lower prices, more
speaker perks, better food, better wireless, “profit sharing” from DVD
sales, and on and on and on…

Are these same people willing to share the risk with Michael and TeraTech if
CFUnited ever lost money? Would they be willing to write a check to TeraTech
today if there were a few bills left unpaid from last year’s show? Would the
speakers be willing to help defray the costs of video production and
distribution costs if this new and innovative venture lost money?

Well, here’s your chance. Commit to TeraTech today that you’re willing to
help them underwrite the entire CFUnited production. For as great as CFUnited
has become, it is not a huge profit center for TeraTech. If fact, there was not
a penny left over from last year’s show. Even further – there were indeed a
few bills left to pay.

Should CFUnited make a profit for TeraTech? I think so, and I encourage them to
have that goal all the time. Michael is very gracious to this community, and I
don’t think profit matters as much to him as it would for me. He does this in
large part for the greater good of your community. He deserves continued thanks
for his vision and effort.

So is CFUnited poorly run? Not a chance! Liz does a superb job organizing this
event. If anything, they are trying too hard to make this a continually better
experience for every member of this community. Every effort, every improvement
has a new or increased cost associated with it.

But why is CFUnited costing more every year? Look at the changes over the past
years. The facility is first class. The perks and food and connectivity and
speaker quality and… get better and better every year. Better costs more than
worse.

As great as the early CFUN years were, I’m not interested in going back to
damp and dingy hotel basements with no connectivity and crummy food. CFML
programmers complain all the time that they don’t get the recognition and
respect when compared to their industry peers. Well you know what? That sure
isn’t true when it comes to conferences. CFUnited is a premier first rate
event that every member of this community should be proud of – whether you
attend it or not!

So, cut Michael, Liz and the whole TeraTech gang some slack. Go out of your way
to offer them praise – now knowing full well that they are not producing this
event to fleece you. They are incredibly dedicated, gracious and compassionate
people committed to keeping this community strong.

Regards,
Dan