I have used the Fusebox development methodology for several projects, as
have most of the developers I work with.  We all dislike it.  It
slightly increases development time, obfuscates CF debugging, and
necessitates superfluous code and processing time by routing every page
call through an index.cfm.  We now only use it when clients insist that
they want their applications built around it (usually they've heard a
little about Fusebox and think it's cutting-edge so they want it without
really understanding it).

A well-designed and well-written application does not need to be redone
in Fusebox to make it better.  However, a poorly-designed or
poorly-written application may benefit from Fusebox because then it will
be somewhat easier for later programmers to come in and fix it.  I would
only recommend that a new application be written Fusebox-style if it is
going to be very large and complex, there will be a lot of developers
working on the application, and if many of those developers are
ColdFusion beginners (and then only if you ignore the terrible
filenaming conventions).  That's because Fusebox does have some value in
making the page-flow logic easier to follow for people who are not
familiar with all of the application, or who are CF beginners.  That's
its only significant advantage. Otherwise you can avoid some unnecessary
development time (and later CPU overhead) and focus on programming the
application's logic flow according to your business needs rather than
shoehorning it into the somewhat arbitrary Fusebox development
methodology.

If you're really having trouble deciding whether to use Fusebox or not,
it may be helpful if you ask yourself what's more important in your
situation: adopting the latest fads in CF development methodologies, or
optimizing your application?

Regards,

Karl Simanonok, staff consultant
Advanta Solutions, Inc.