On 6/26/07, James Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I said that Eclipse only runs well on 2GB of ram and then everyone comes
> out of the woodwork and says "I got 2GB of RAM and it runs fine!" What is
> the point of that post?
>
> I'm very glad for you that have 2GB of RAM (and mildly jealous), but the
> average non-brand-spanking new machine has 512MB of RAM which is simply not
> enough to run Eclipse properly.

Since RAM is so cheap (2 Gb for $68), why not just get some more RAM? Not
trying to be mean, but 512 Mb an awfully limited amount.

I also specifically said that it uses 400MB of [RAM + VM] and I get
> relevant).
>
> For reference, in order to see the total RAM (including VM) that an app
> uses, open Task Manager, click View, click Columns, check off "Virtual
> Memory" and sum the RAM + Virtual Memory for the total RAM used.

Virtual Memory is cached on disk. This is the Windows page file and it is
very common for programs to gobble up lots of it, especially if Windows has
a lot of free space in the page file. This is totally separate from physical
RAM and is there just to speed up usage of the program. Again, since even
the most basic modern computers have dozens or hundreds of gigs of hard
drive space, I don't see why this is an issue for you. Hell, Winamp's VM
usage (42 Mb) is more than it's RAM usage (38), and Firefox's VM usage (206
Mb) matches its RAM usage (240 Mb). The bottom line is that Eclipse rarely
uses more than 100-150 Mb of physical RAM. This means even a system with as
little as 1 Gb or RAM will have no problem running CFEclipse and a local
instance of ColdFusion.

In short, as I said in my original post, use Eclipse if you have 2GB or more
> of RAM. Don't if you don't.

And I'll counter by saying this is simply untrue, and if you have even 768
Mb or 1 Gb of RAM, CFEclipse will run just fine for you even if you are also
running CF server locally.