Has anyone else been having problems with the list missing emails, or
coming through 8+ hours after it was originally posted?  I don't have
the original message for this thread.  The web archive shows it was
posted around lunch today.

Anyway, I am going to need to implement something like this soon.  Our
images will come in via email, then I need to OCR a customer ID out of
it and import appropriately.

I was looking at JavaOCR (http://javaocr.com) and Asprise OCR, also
written in Java.  So they should easily integrate with ColdFusion.
Neither are free.

There are also several (free) open source OCR packages:

GOCR http://jocr.sourceforge.net/
Ocrad http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html
Tesseract
_http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2006/08/announcing-tesseract-ocr.html_

But I have not looked into any of them yet.  But the barcode stuff Jim
Rising mentioned (glad I checked the archive, as I don't have that email
either...) looks very interesting, and it looks like its a lot cheaper
than OCR.  My images are actually coming in via fax, so OCR'ing that
quality of an image may be a challenge.  I think the barcode may perform
better.

-Ryan