Thank you again everyone who has been helping me.  I
wasn't aware of this
machine, and it is very interesting.  That may be a
potential solution.

The barcode idea is one that I have considered but it
isn't very practical
for us.  The reason I say that is that we have
hundreds of customers and new
ones are added daily.  Usually you'd only have one or
two documents that
need to scanned, so it would not be practical if
someone had to stop and
make barcodes and then stick them on a document (we
don't generate all of
the documents here so we can't just put barcodes on
the documents when they
are created--some of the documents in question would
be invoices from
suppliers for materials and things like that...).

My other possible solution besides using Barcodes or
OCR is to get a
copier/scanner machine that  will send emails as
described before.  But what
I picture is that the machine would already know the
domain where the email
is going to ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) so the sales guy would
walk up to the machine
and type in the unique 5 digit id for the customer as
the email address.
Then press send. (The copy machines I have seen don't
have good ways of
typing in much beyond just numbers, so if they had to
type in the domain
name too for the email address, that would be a deal
breaker--nobody would
do it.)  I'd have to find the right copy machine to do
that.  I think the
Sharp AR-M277 would possibly do that, but I have to
put my hands on one to
see.  I would set up the email server with a catch-all
email address that
would accept [EMAIL PROTECTED] when
[EMAIL PROTECTED] comes in,
coldFusion would POP it and then use the name as the
ID number and VOILA.

Any more comments or ideas appreciated.