if you're using fax... why not an inbound fax on demand solution? put an avr
menu in front that asks the user for account information (via touchtone)
prior to giving them a fax tone. you could probably do this with asterisk
.... but i know that companies like faxBack (www.faxback.com) support this
sort of setup too. we actually went down the road with faxBack until we
found out that they needed support of SIP REFER from our 3rd party SIP
gateway if you're wanting to do fax over T.38 using voip. problem is... no
3rd party SIP gateway provider will support SIP REFER because it allows
un-metered voip calls. with the volume of calls that we're anticipating, an
analog solution just would not work... but faxBack would probably work well
for what you're wanting to do. the IRS uses it... so it can't be half bad.
:)

-jim