Geoff Bowers wrote:

> My experience of Commonspot compared to other products has not been as
> delightful as yours.  And there are plenty of people who have a
> diametrically opposed view to yours on the merits of FarCry as a
> solution.

I dunno if I'd call my experience with it "delightful" but given the
short time I had with it, it seemed pretty decent.

> It's unnecessary to voice your obviously negative opinion of a product
> without any sort of request to do so.  If you feel the need to vent,
> why not vent on the farcry-dev forum where you might let the
> developers of that product know what you found so objectionable --
> we'd love to fix it.

I thought about venting about it on the Farcry list, but figured I would
be booted in no time for not being a member of the choir.  Not wanting
to burn bridges, I chose not to.

As for venting here without being asked, I thought this was a list that
encouraged all kinds of discussion about CF and related applications.
I'm not openly bashing FarCry.  I do dislike it for many reasons, but I
will refrain from making slanderous remarks about it.

I will make two comments about it here and leave it at that for now...

1. It's VERY slow.  Even on very fast hardware, it's extremely slow.

2. If it had even half the documentation that Commonspot had, I would
probably still be using it.  The new developer guide that was put out
fell very short of being useful, and the Wiki is hard to find help in as
well.  In addition, even posting to the -Dev list was fairly futile.

I finally abandoned FarCry for Joomla.  Granted it's php-based, but it's
extremely fast and so far seems much easier to work with.  The back-end
alone is worth its weight in gold.  It's lightyears ahead of FarCry.  Oh
wait, that makes it three things, sorry. :)

Rob