From: Matthew Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:55 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Paperthin's Commonspot

>For my needs FarCry is out of the question because it's open source (most
>federal agencies poo poo anything that's open source off the bat, because
of
>support issues).

Actually, that's not a completely accurate statement.  The Daemonites have
released FarCry to the public under an open source license, true.  However,
most of the work done to the FarCry core is paid for by their clients.
Support, training, implementation, modification can all be obtained through
Daemon.  It's like other commercial offerings this way, but I'd venture a
guess that Daemon is more willing to help when it comes to system
modification.

Now, will it meet your requirements the same way as CommonSpot?  Depends on
your needs.  My understanding of CommonSpot is that it makes importing
existing content easy (at least according the docs).  You can use a WYSIWIG
editor to modify templates (again, from what I saw in the docs).  You can
have a single authoring server and multiple front ends.  These are things
that FarCry does not do (yet).

I'm curious about this myself.  I'll be meeting one of Dave Watt's team
members in the near future for a CommonSpot install.  However, I'm only
responsible for the machine it resides on.  I'll not be doing any
development on it.

Matthew Williams
Geodesic GraFX
www.geodesicgrafx.com/blog