Our business is sort of an ASP model where we have a single, main application
to which we essentially sell subscriptions to large clients.  Over the years,
those clients have demanded unique changes to the app that have caused the main
code base to split into separate versions.

Currently we run CF multi-server on JRun, so we have an instance for each of
our clients.  For some reason, we've always found this desirable, though we've
never really seen any clear benefits other than being able to maintain separate
CFAdmin settings and restart an instance without affecting all of our clients.

We now wish to consolidate our code into a single app that pulls in custom
styles, pages, features, content as necessary.  One way to make this happen is
to have a single application (code base) running on a single CF instance that
pulls in custom materials from client directories where necessary.

I having a feeling that moving from multi-instance to single-instance is going
to be a hard sell.  I have been picking up tidbits of information about CF8
that lead me to wonder if multi-instance CF is something on the wane anyway.

Can anyone shed some light?  I have more questions, but I will leave it at this
for now.  Any comments?