On 2/6/08, Steven Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Our business is sort of an ASP model where we have a single, main application
> to which we essentially sell subscriptions to large clients.  Over the years,
> those clients have demanded unique changes to the app that have caused the
> main code base to split into separate versions.

That wouldn't seem to have much to do with "instances"

> Currently we run CF multi-server on JRun, so we have an instance for each of
> our clients.  For some reason, we've always found this desirable, though
> we've never really seen any clear benefits other than being able to maintain
> separate CFAdmin settings and restart an instance without affecting all of
> our clients.

Separate CFAdmin settings might not be terribly important in an ASP
environment since you're not allowing clients to host or build their
own CFML code.

But restarting an instance without affecting *ALL* of the instances is
pretty important I'd think.

> We now wish to consolidate our code into a single app that pulls in custom
> styles, pages, features, content as necessary.  One way to make this happen
> is to have a single application (code base) running on a single CF instance
> that pulls in custom materials from client directories where necessary.

Why a single CF instance?  You can have multiple CF instances
accessing the exact same code base.... for example, let's assumg you
have your code installed in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot - you could set up 10
IIS web sites that all point to that directory .. and each web site
uses a different domain name.. and each web site uses a different
instance of Coldfusion.

> I having a feeling that moving from multi-instance to single-instance is
> going to be a hard sell.  I have been picking up tidbits of information about
> CF8 that lead me to wonder if multi-instance CF is something on the wane
> anyway.

No, it definately isn't.  On the contrary, I suspect there are a lot
more people switching from single-instance to multi-instance than the
reverse.  People using multiple instances don't usually go back to
single instances.

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind