On 2/6/08, Tom Chiverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you need a course on basic object orientated design principles e.g.
> classes, methods, encapsulation, abstraction, inheritance etc.

I don't agree with that at all.

the use of CFCs doesn't necessarily have anything to do with object
oriented design.  Lots of CFCs are just groupings of functions to
perform application tasks.  But they're not really object oriented at
all, they're functional.

imageCFC for example is just an image manipulation CFC.  It's purely
functional, and not object oriented in nature at all.  The java stuff
underneath is object oriented, but the imageCFC itself is not.

> > Should I learn it?
>
> I'd say yes.

I *WOULD* agree with this.

Even if you're not using CFCs for object oriented design, they're awfully handy.

> > Does it
> > gradually become the core of CF programing to use CFCs?

For me, yes.  In fact, when building a CF application, the first thing
I do is write a CFC.  Not true.  I buid my SQL database first.  At
least, I write a SQL script with the tables and fields I need.  Then I
start writing the CFC.  Then I write the presentatin stuff in the CFM
files.

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind