> the use of CFCs doesn't necessarily have anything to do with object
> > oriented design.  Lots of CFCs are just groupings of functions to
> > perform application tasks

Every time I hear that I get a little twitch going on in my neck (ala the
prison gauard in the Life of Brian).

A group of functions in a component is still OO. An object does not have to
have state. Conversely, an object does not have to have methods and can
simply be a set of public fields (for example a representation of a garden
gnome - it doesn't do anything but it has state). However, I would bet that
in many cases these stateless objects could be given state to be more
useable and reusable.

For example, lets say we had a component that was a group of functions that
returned queries from the database - perhaps they are all queries about
garden gnomes. Having no state, the datasource properties could either be
hard coded into each cfquery (eek), retrieved from the
request/application/session scopes (even more eek), passed to each method as
an argument (fine but a bit hard work). By introducing state to the object
however, you can set the datasource the first time you get an instance of
the component and then never have to worry about it again (unless you are
using multiple datasources which I imagine would be rare in such a
situation). The component is then self contained and as such is more
reusable.

Anyways, I think it is all about understanding. The more you can understand,
the more use you can get. Why buy a super dooper fast computer and refuse to
learn anything but how to check your email? Just having a basic
understanding of OO for ColdFusion is going to save a lot of confusion in
learning about CFCs and I believe will actually make learning them faster.
Dominic
--
Blog it up: http://fusion.dominicwatson.co.uk