On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Rick Faircloth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> if a "program" should become unavailable.  Now, depending on
> a "foundation" program, such as CF is a little different than
> what I'm talking about.

if Model-Glue (or Fusebox or Mach-ii or ColdBox or... ) were to cease
all development today, your existing code would still work fine, no
different than if ColdFusion were to stop being produced.

> But no, I have never used Dreamweaver, and, after using Eclipse
> for a few months, I gave it up.  Not because Eclipse wasn't suitable...
> it didn't generate any code for me...but because I couldn't get it to
> function with CFE, SVN, and FTP the way I wanted.  It was my fault, but
> I just needed to put it aside for the time being to get some work done.
>
> And yes, Subversion, like Windows, is a tool I use in my work, but it
> doesn't do the work for me.  Subversion just watches my back as I work.

Ah, I thought you had gone from DW to Eclipse and back.  Either way, I
wasn't trying to single out a particular IDE.  Just whatever IDE you
were using :)

A framework doesn't do your work for you either.  Just like a hammer
doesn't build a house... it's just a tool that you use to make your
life easier.  Is there a learning curve?  Sure.  Just like any tool,
you need to invest time to learn how to use it properly.  a hammer
might not be the best example here... i'm fairly certain even will
tomlinson can use a hammer.  But you get my point.  It's a consistent
way of doing what you do now.  You just need to learn that way.

> But the whole point about Model Glue or any other framework is that
> it probably does a lot of stuff I wouldn't understand, and if something
> went wrong, then I might not be able to fix it.  Now, I'm just expressing
> a view from a perspective of ignorance, not having used any frameworks.
> That's why I said I'd take a look...I would just do it with some
> trepidation.

Again, learning curve.  Sure, it'll do stuff you don't understand.  At
first.  The first time I saw Model-Glue code I was pretty overwhelmed.
 Not sure what you mean by "if something went wrong".  If something
goes wrong, it throws an error (and you can output debug info to the
screen), and you debug it just like any non-frameworked code.  most of
the frameworks have a mailing list as well.

> I just like to avoid dependence unless it's necessary or there's a
> great benefit from the risk.

I still don't really view it as a "dependency" as much as a tool.
Either way, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or rile the
non-framework crowd.  I just wanted you to look at it in the proper
perspective, whichever route you choose to go.