I agree with Dave and "agencies" not looking out for a company that they
represents best interests. I often see a consultant brought in, who also pushes
their own agenda. Thats why you really have to have someone in your
organization that understands and keeps up with the latest trends of
technology, so you can hold them accountable for their recommendations.

As far as the server deal, the biggest reason I see for companies pushed into
.Net or PHP is cost. You can expand your server cluster with less software
overhead. On the flip side ColdFusion offers quicker development time, and if
you had to get new developers the code is much easier to read. Way too often I
see companies hire the PHP norm just to be stuck with an app they can't modify
cause they don't understand whats going on. To me I'd value mobility over cost,
within reason of course.

You really should decide what type of investment your site is worth to your
company. Since your on shared hosting, right away I'd say using PHP or .Net for
cheaper cluster overhead isn't, and probably won't ever be on your roadmap.
Rest is developers preference, so I'd suggest letting your preference be known
to those making the decision.

As far as who is using CF... the largest one I can recall off the top of my
head would be MySpace. I beleive the exact specs would be CF6 with a little
.Net script integration to handle automated server tasks.