This isn't an answer to your question, but I had some suggestions.

What DB are you using?

If you're using SQL server on windows are are quite a few thing you can
watch in perfmon.

hard drive reads/writes
lock wait times
CPU usage
Avg Disk sec/read, write

There are near infinite reasons for "occaisional slowdowns" on a site,
but I have had it happen when a cached execution plan would decide to
ignore an index and start doing table scans.

I've found similar slow downs by keeping a close eye on lock escalations
and drive activity on the SQL servers.  If the slow downs are coming
from your SQL server, it is imperative for you to find what is running
at the time.  If all the servers slow down at the same time they might
be held up by locks or slow drive performance.  (Where are your data
files stored?  transaction logs? temp db?   Raid 5? 10?   how many
disks? etc..)

Let me know what your DB is.  If you're on SQL Server 2005, I have a web
based tool I can dust off that shows you the running spids, locks, the
statement being executed, and a link to the execution plan.  It also
optionally ties in with SeeFusion to get request information. (Though I
think you said you had fusion reactor.)

When it comes to diagnosing slow downs-- you can only be as good as your
ability to look under the hood and know what's going on.

~Brad