That's fascinating. But why would sql server create an index in a
codeset that didn't match the column? You'd think that the index would
match the declared type of the column automatically. I would think of
that as a bug in sql server.

We're moving some applications to do more multilingual support soon
and that sort of gotcha is something for me to keep in mind. Gotta
convert everything to nvarchar. Thanks for giving us more info about
the resolution.

Judah