Contention deadlocks can be a royal pain to troubleshoot. You're going
to need to find out what query was being run under that PID to see
what it is causing it.

A couple things here: Do you only have one application hitting that
database or are there multiple? If two different applications are
contending for a lock on the same table that can throw errors if not
handled elegantly. What kind of transactions are you doing? I've run
into this sort of problem before on a poorly designed app that had one
big log table that logged info all the other tables and we had to
change our transaction types to not do exclusive locks until we
redesigned the application.

Also, are you doing replication perchance? If it is set up to do log
shipping that could explain the surge of activity on your logging
disk.

Judah