runnign without reading from disk during these times.

There are, apparently, two solutions to performance issues caused by
checkpointing.

#1 - add more disks to your drive array.  Apparently, a 6 disk array
is less likely to have these kind of read/write blockages than a 3
disk array.  This isn't an option for us right now though.

#2 - force checkpointing more often.  This was our solution.  The
system was checkpointing every 10-20 minutes depending on activity,
and we are forcing it now to do checkpoints every minute now through a
SQL Agent task.  The spikes are still there, but they won't really
affect our users anymore.

Apparently, there is option #3 - which is "Upgrade to SQL Server 2008"
which in and of itself would improve checkpointing performance, but
also apparently SQL 2000 can only use 1.5gb of RAM, so we're
underutilizing our server in terms of physical memory (it has 4gb
total)

Rick

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind