> Out of the companies you listed, I've only ever used Facebook, Flickr,
> Google, eBay, iStockPhoto, Ticketmaster, and Yahoo.
>
> I'm not saying this is a litmus test, but with the exception of maybe Yahoo
> ( but I haven't really used Yahoo THAT much ), I have always consciously
> THOUGHT as I used every single one of those other sites that their
> performance was pretty lackluster.

Searching for the letter "a" on google.

"Results *1* - *100* of about *17,790,000,000* for *a*. (*0.16* seconds) "

But yeah.... That isn't a MySLQ query. Gmail can be sluggish but I think it
is more of a JS engine issue more than anything else.

Better IDE and tools ( the MySQL enterprise tools, at least the ones I've
> used, are all but a joke ).

The MySQL software bundle is pretty crappy. I stopped using them years ago.
I was never able to get the migration tools to work right.

However, SQLyog, Toad for MySQL and the EMS tools rock IMHO.

>> a genetic allergy to Microsoft.

Now that is funny.

But yeah, I moved to MySQL cuz it was free and I was a freelancer at the
time. $5k is a lot of beer and donuts.

But at the same time, I have been able to do things with DTS and SSIS that
are pretty stunning. Like import a 25 meg MLS XML file in what I can only
describe as being a blip. That was in 2003 though. I haven't looked at
MySQL's tool set in that respect since then.

G!

--
Gerald Guido
http://www.myinternetisbroken.com

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
-- Thomas A. Edison