I'm not against open source in any way shape or form! SOME of it is
fantastic. But that doesn't mean I think that all open source products are
great or even decent. Honestly it seems like a lot of them are pretty
fruitless, and more the personal hobbies and indulgences of the developers
than useful bits of software ( read: a few of my own open source projects
that luckily never even went public ; ). MySQL obviously not included.
I adopted Firefox literally the moment I discovered tabbed browsing back
before IE had it and when any product ( open source or otherwise ) is good
enough, I evangelize it like a Jehova's Witness ( that's a compliment, it's
pretty impressive that they hit the streets on Saturdays just to spread some
church ).

Like I said, I've loved and used MySQL for years, and am only now unlocking
its deep, dirty secrets. Clearly, it can do plenty of things very well or
well enough. So it's great ( or fine ) for a lot of projects / operations.
Unfortunately, for the stuff I was doing, it really really struggled ( and
was obliterated in comparative performance by SQL Server 2008 ).
Unfortunately ( sorry Judah ), I can't go very deeply into the explicit
details of what MySQL was struggling with because our implementation is
pretty tightly bound to some closed-sourcey commercial / intellectual
property even at the database level.

I can say that generally speaking some general issues that MySQL exhibited
were the inability to correctly determine its own best execution plans,
leverage precisely-defined indexes even when explicitly directed to with
SQL-level overrides, correctly negotiate certain types of subqueries and not
do more work than it needed to ( which was pretty ridiculous, at one point
we were using ColdFusion to mitigate MySQL's own self-inflicted overload by
feeding simulated subquery results to other queries as parameters by
relaying the results to and from CF ), and reliably join to the same table(
s ) multiple times against different subsets of its data to create highly
dynamic temporary composites. Its raw view performance was also pretty weak
at a real scale. Another thing to mention ( since you mention the storage
engine implementation in MySQL ) is that the issues we had were almost
exclusively with the InnoDB storage engine ( the most popular transactional
engine with support for foreign key cascades ), and we used a design that
was very driven by automated referential integrity with foreign and
composite keys, which some people see as a more contemporary, cutting-edgey
approach. After our complete re-architecture ( which now relies on
application-server management of most of the things we tried to let MySQL
handle automatically ) and a mostly MyISAM table design, MySQL is performing
much, much better.