I'm kinda jumping into the middle of this thread but I thought it would
be worth mentioning that I've had exceptionally good experiences with
PostgreSQL. It's licensed even more liberally then MySQL, and is
regularly benchmarked at being faster with complex queries then MySQL is.

I started using PostgreSQL back in the days of MySQL 3, before MySQL
supported simple things like sub-queries. That was incredibly
frustrating at the time, and PostgreSQL fixed me right up with a free,
fast, functional, open-source solution.

It's worth a look if you're still open to the idea of open-source solutions.

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies
http://www.viviotech.net/