On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Andrew Scott <andr...@andyscott.id.au> wrote:
> from what I am hearing version 3 will be a must have for any developer.

Based on what Ram showed at MAX, I'd say version 2 is a "must have"
(but then I already think version 1 is pretty much a must have :)

> 1) When opening the IDE there are times when the colour syntax, and
> everything else that is related to ColdFusion just won't work. Granted this
> is not very often, but it is often enough to be annoying.

I've had this happen maybe half a dozen times in however long I've had
the product with day-in, day-out use. I don't view it as a big issue
(but it makes me sympathetic for the CFBuilder team since the root
cause is the failure of the Adobe licensing component to start
correctly - a component that is essentially forced on the CFBuilder
team and why the product isn't available for Linux).

> 2) The outline feature never remembers whether it is collapsed or not, and
> it should also begin in the collapsed so people can drill in rather than
> drill out.

OK, I'll buy that. And it is a minor annoyance. I actually wish it
would always begin expanded to the first level so I guess they can't
please everyone all the time.

> 3) For no reason what so ever the heap will spike to the maximum, and hang
> the IDE. This can cause the IDE to be non responsive for upto 2-3 mins,
> before it will eventually come back as not responding.

Never seen that (but I have the heap set larger than the default).

> 4) When trying to stop a server in the servers view, the ColdFusion will
> eventually report stopped. When you go and restart it at a later stage, it
> errors saying that it is already running. Yet the IDE reports this as
> stopped, this is more notable on remote servers than local, but I have seen
> it on local servers as well.

I've occasionally noticed a bit of quirkiness here - but then JRun's
launcher can be a bit flaky about this too. I'll be honest, I don't
stop/start the server much thru CFBuilder - it's just not a use case I
need / care about.

> 5) When closing a lot of windows (Code files) by either using the Mylyn
> plugin, or by close all. For every single file closed there will be an error
> that will pop up saying something like, the file is not in the webroot or
> there is no server associated with the file so it is not able to be viewed.

I regularly close all windows with up to 20 editor windows open and
never see this - but then I don't use Mylyn (tried it, didn't like
it). Maybe it's an interaction with the Mylyn plugin? The big downside
of Eclipse is plugin compatibility, IMO.

> 6) I can be scrolling through a large file and I mean around large, and the
> editor will just stop actually scrolling.

How large? I've never seen this happen.

> 7) The undo feature if you make a 1 to 5 letter change, and try to do an udo
> then you find that it tries to do an undo somewhere else in the file and you
> have to try to do an undo about 10-20 times before it catches upto your
> actual changes.

Really? Wow, never seen that one - but I agree that would be very
frustrating if it happened.

> 8) If you have a project on a UNC path, and close the IDE and re-open it.

UNC. 'nuff said. Don't do that (your problem there is Windows, not CFBuilder :)

Seriously tho' I've seen so many bugs reported against UNC paths in
Java apps that I don't really think you can pin the blame on Adobe for
this.

> 9) When running the line debugger...
> 10) When using the line debugger...
> 11)When using the line debugger...
> 12) When trying to set a break point to use the line debugger...
> 13) After awhile the line debugger...

Can't comment. I almost never use the line debugger. Never liked 'em.

> 14) When typing some code, I can stop and hit the up arrow key before the
> color of the code is complete. And then I can get the IDE to have half blue
> lines across the screen for every line I scroll too.

Interesting. Never seen that. Does it only happen on "very large"
files? Or also on small files?

> 15) Closing of tags is flaky, even with all the right settings if I type
> <cfoutput> sometimes I get the closing tag and sometimes I don't

I'll concede it isn't perfect but it's "good enough" (and I don't
write enough tag-based code for it to annoy me too much).

> 16) Sometimes the icon to open the log files from the locally running
> server, will report that the server does not provide logs or is not local
> and other times it just works fine.

Not even sure what you're referring to here. Can you provide a bit more detail?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood