> I for one appreciate the heads up, not everyone considers
> people on this list to be script kiddies !! we are all
> developers here and we don't need mr Watts to baby sit us.

You can call me Dave.

I'm not trying to protect you from yourself, nor am I interested in
babysitting you. I don't give a rat's ass about you, personally, one way or
the other. Merry Chrismas to you, though, and say hi to Bill Wheatley for
me; he seems like a nice enough guy.

This thread started with someone posting that someone else's site, in
particular, had a security hole. How does that give you a heads-up? What
information does that give you that you couldn't get from reading about the
vulnerability (use of .htr extensions on IIS)?

Here's an analogy for you. Let's say that I figure out that a generic key
can open all locks from a particular vendor, and I announce that to the
world. Hopefully, I'd notify the vendor first, but shortly after that,
everybody else should know too, so that if they have one of these crappy
locks on their front door, they can fix it or switch to another lock. That's
good disclosure. On the other hand, if I say that Mike C. has one of these
locks on his front door, and he lives at 555 Dumbass Lane, that's not good
disclosure, is it? You don't have to look at everything like a lawyer to see
the difference, do you?

> on the topic of script kiddies, there is another side to
> that, there is the annoying older internet worker who looks
> at everything like a lawyer and put disclaimers on everything
> and want to protect us from ourselves.  Gimme the script
> kiddies anyday, script kiddies grow up to be internet workers
> and innovators, annoying legally minded (old )programmers are
> just plain dull

As far as being an "older" internet worker, how old do you think I am? I'm
kind of curious. I'll grant that I can be annoying and dull.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444