I believe it has more to do with how you desire programming within
ColdFusion as you can program against it in either a procedural and/or OOP
manner. Since CF sits on JRun which is a Java engine it simply uses java as
it's workhorse for everything and since Java is a OOP language if you
planned on going an OOP route in CF then it's pretty safe to say you will
have an easier time transitioning between the two whenever desired.

Hope this helps.

-Pat