On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Jason Durham <jqdur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like the nitpicking thus far is really superfluous.  Learning CFML
> doesn't get you any closer to being a Java developer than learning .NET.
> The converse is probably true (learning .NET is a better step in that
> direction).

.NET (C#) and Java are certainly closer to each other than CFML is to either.

> If you already know CFML and are looking to expand your skillset, Java would
> compliment your skills in CF.

One thing I'll caution is that if all you know is CFML and you then
learn Java, resist the temptation to write your CFML code like your
Java code - CFML is a dynamic scripting language that doesn't know
require everything to be an object, unlike Java which is a
strongly-typed, compile-deploy-debug language where everything must be
an object. I don't think CFers realize how rigid and "different" Java
really is - and these days there are many far better languages
available on the JVM than Java. Groovy for dynamic but traditional
approaches, Scala for strongly-typed functional-OO hybrid without
Java's verbosity, Clojure for dynamic pure functional. Heck, even
JRuby is probably a better bet than Java (but it's interop story is
not as good as the other three I mentioned).

Knowing the Java stack and libraries is more important than knowing
the Java language itself.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."
-- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880