Actually than can work hand in hand, there are a lot of things that
ColdFusion can't do out of the box. But there is a massive library of Java
Code out there, with a small tweak can be written and leveraged of in
ColdFusion.

As an example.

Mark Mandels JavaLoader has helped with libraries like the OWASPI project,
try writing that in ColdFusion. You can certainly use it, but you would
struggle to write it in ColdFusion alone.

Other examples, you might need to have a top tier servlet. Which would be
able to sit at the level before ColdFusion, and this would need to be
written in Java if you want this to across platforms.

I could go on and on with many examples where you are wrong Mike.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/