> > 1. CFLib belongs to Ray.
>
> That doesn't mean he can't get help from the *assumed* CF community. He is
> alone because the small community does not
> have new blood. New blood carries the torch and keeps things moving. The
> 'old-timers' are too busy discussing OOP concepts
> -which is their right. The problem is that the lack on new blood will
> eventually kill CF - and that's the simple point I make.

Perhaps he's alone because he didn't ask anyone to help him. Did you
volunteer to help him? I think Judah did in this very thread, so maybe
the queue will move a bit faster.

> > 2. Why are new tutorials needed, since CF's basic functionality hasn't
> > changed significantly?
>
> A cursory glance at how things stand today will show any objective observer
> that a lot of those resources are obsolete, in
> need of re-vamping (lots of new features have been introduced) or were
> deleted a long time ago.

... and a lot aren't. But that's true for any programming language.
So, specifically, which features do you think should have new
tutorials written?

> > 3. There are plenty of beginner and intermediate questions on the list.
>
> But how many lists are there? And how many questions in this list? In fact,
> it could be argued that this list is perfect example
> of a stagnant community.

How many lists do there have to be? How many questions do there have
to be? The CF list is fairly high-traffic compared to many of the
other lists I'm on. You can argue that the list is a perfect example
of whatever you like, I suppose, but you don't bring any metrics to
the table, so why should your arguments be taken seriously?

In any case, the Adobe forums also have pretty high traffic.

> > 4. People blog about their interests, not solely for promotional reasons.
>
> Once again, I'm not holding the small CF community responsible for anything.
> Strawman argument.

You complained that there aren't enough blog posts. Where do you
expect them to come from?

> > 5. CF is a successful product.
>
> That doesn't mean it is not dying slowly. Strawman argument.

"The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long
run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes

Of course, CF is dying slowly. That is the fate of all programming
languages. The only important question is, is it dying faster than it
should? You've provided no evidence that it is, just your gut feeling
that there isn't enough "new blood". The onus is on you to prove your
point.

Also, you seem to misunderstand what a "straw man" argument actually
is. Your position is that CF is dying. If CF product sales go down,
that would actually be an indicator that CF is doing worse than it
was. If CF continues to sell as well as it's been selling, that is
evidence - not conclusive evidence, but evidence nonetheless - that CF
is not dying.

> > 6. The CF "community" is not composed solely of Adobe employees.
>
> You love your straw man, don't you?

I hate stupidity. Some day I'll learn that it can't be beaten, only
ignored, but today is not that day apparently.

> > 8. If you want more evangelism, be an evangelist.
>
> Strawman argument. I never said I wanted more 'evangelism".

Your definition of evangelism must be spectacularly narrow, if it
excludes tutorials, blog posts, Adobe marketing, etc. Also, it seems
you have an unnatural attachment to the word "strawman".

> > So, out of those, there's one paragraph that mentions trolling, and
> > states you may well not be a troll. Given your apparent level of
> > reading comprehension, you might want to read these things more
> > slowly and carefully.
>
> More childish, dishonest attack - but it seems the norm with you.

Childish? Maybe so. Dishonest? How so? Was I wrong about the number of
paragraphs that mentioned you being a troll? Did that paragraph
explicitly state that you are a troll? Because those are really the
only two statements in the above paragraph that can be assigned a
truth value. So, which one was wrong?

> > > In any case, why 10 years?
> >
> > Because people have been posting this crap here for ten years already.
> > They were posting it when CF was called "Allaire Cold Fusion."
>
> The way things are going, the ten years may not be necessary. But only time
> will tell. Hope you're right, though. I
> hope Coldfusion remains a valid option for many years to come.

Clearly, your contribution tonight was the best way you could help CF
remain a valid option, I'm sure.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.