Lets put it this way.

I have been doing web development work since coming out of the University of
Bath (for all you Americans, it's an old Roman City in England that has
Roman Bath's in it hence the name) not too many years ago.

Since then I have done HTML then Perl, then CF.  As far as I'm concerned the
lack of penetration in CF means that there are not too many developers out
there (although this is increasing).  The jobs are there (if you look in the
right places and are good enough) but such is the perceived value of ASP in
the development market that you would find it easier to get an ASP job (and
for that matter a PHP job if you have the skills).  However the financial
implications of this here are huge!

Financially it's good to be a CF programmer in the UK - especially a good
one.  It's even better to be a Spectra programmer (doesn't really matter how
good yet as long as you've done the course or have experience).  Don't be
put off that CF hasn't penetrated the market yet.  I firmly believe that it
could (no guarantees), but the worst thing that could happen is that the CF
programmers move away from CF!

Paul