Hi Mark,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Mark A Kruger <mkru...@cfwebtools.com>
wrote:

> My one questions is you say that view source is identical from a hacked and
> non hacked  server - that seems odd.

Extremely. That's why I mentioned it. I both looked through the source in a
browser and saved it and did a file compare locally. There was no evidence
of any additional scripting.

> This one uses the missing file handler:
>
> http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2013/12/5/attack.vector.missing.temp
> late.handler

Thanks. Yes, I had already read that post, and now I've read the second.

But it doesn't seem to have been the former (I'll explain in a minute), and
while the latter situation is possible (there is one area where an image
could be uploaded to a web-accessible directory), the form is secured by an
admin login. So it's less likely.

What's terminally weird is that I just remoted in to the server again, and
the problem has disappeared. I know that doesn't mean it's "gone," but the
admin is appearing, and working, cleanly now. And the missing template
handler input field is blank, so I guess it wasn't that particular attack.

And the only change I had made was to delete the old, temporary site I
mentioned, the one that did accidentally have a virtual directory for
CFIDE, from IIS. The site was not running, and hadn't been for a long time.
But it did still exist as an entry in IIS.

I can't imagine how that change would make a difference. It's just the only
change that was made between my two logins.

Obviously, I still hope someone has seen a similar attack, because I'm not
all that relieved that the symptom has gone away.

Thanks for your suggestions. If I need more formal help, I'll definitely
yell.