One more followup: whatever this is, it isn't related to CF. I jumped to
the wrong conclusion.

The problem reappeared when I was in the CF admin page, long after I'd
logged on.

But then I opened another browser and purposely asked for a local page that
didn't exist. The IIS error page contained ads.

Again, this doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. But folks should know
that this is not a new CF attack.