From: Joseph Grossberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 2:32 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Is CF still relevant?

You brought up and interesting point, and Neo will be a big boost to CF,
IMHO, and I'll be psyched when it arrives. But if someone knows Java, why
not just use JRun at that point? Also, Allaire doesn't seem to have a
concrete date for CF Server 5 release, much less Neo (a.k.a. version 6).

However, while I think that some additional stuff CF does is good (e.g.
integration with Flash; I think the MM/Allaire merger is very
complimentary), it seems like it's just way behind on other things. I mean,
even Perl programmers can use OOP and XML if they want to, but it's not
necessary. With CF, you don't even have that option. ColdFusion just seems
like it's always a step (or more) behind the competing technologies.

I also don't like the fact that we're basically depending on one vendor for
everything except a smattering of custom tags and minor third-party
applications. If something in Perl or Python doesn't work, someone fixes it
soon. If something in ASP or Java doesn't work, then MS or Sun fixes it (or
another company will sell it, because the market is large enough). But since
Allaire is solely responsible for CF Studio, CF Server, Spectra, JRun, etc.,
it seems like we're putting all our eggs in one basket. Like, "Oh, your
upgrade to CF Server 4.5 broke your CFHTTP / CFFTP / CFMAIL tag? Well you
have to downgrade to 4.0 or just wait ... until ... whenever we finally
release 5.0 ... assuming it's fixed then."

Like I said, I think CF has its plusses and minuses, but it just seems less
compelling to me by the month.

Joe