Len Conrad wrote:

>> And where would that leave smaller developers?

> If the "smaller" developers arenīt worth their cost of sales,  then, yes ....

As has been mentioned before, I don't think that most companies factor in
the value of small developers into their cost benefit analysis

>> Out in the cold

> .... and you donīt make significant money selling CF software, but from your
> CF apps and support contract revenue, none of which goes back to MM.

Or does it? No-one has, to my knowledge, spent any time examining the issue
of how much a company makes (long term) from the support they give to small
developers.

Macromedia might not make a lot from direct sales but I think that the
long-term profitability of the company has to be built on small developers.

> Letīs not get emotional about it, itīs the brutal face of
> business.

Well thatđs certainly a logical approach but you really can't expect people
to be anything other than emotional when there is a perceived direct threat
to their ability to make a living.

Or to the investment they have made in CF. I've just finished spending 3
months writing a CMS framework. I certainly don't want to see that effort go
down the drain.

--

       Consistency is the refuge of the unimaginative

       Oscar Wilde

       email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       WWW: http://www.pixelgeek.com/