From: "Chris Colón" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: New CF5 Partner Hosting License

> 'is there any book called "PHP by April30th"??' - lol
>
> A couple folks have asked for it, so here's the text of the announcement
that hosting partners received yesterday
> (apologies if my Netscape Communicator email program parses the line feeds
weirdly):

> -----
>
> Dear Partner,
>
> On April 30, 2001, Macromedia will be announcing the launch of ColdFusion
Server 5 and the ColdFusion Server 5
> Hosting Service Provider Edition, which consists of a new End-User License
for commercial hosting service
> providers.
>
> We are excited to provide you with advanced notice of our announcement of
the launch of a new Hosting Edition for
> ColdFusion 5.0 that offers Web Hosting partners improved functionality as
well as new licensing terms.

> Improved Functionality
>
> ColdFusion Server 5 has new functionality that will help hosters improve
the management and enhance the performance
> of hosted ColdFusion servers. It also provides existing ColdFusion users
with numerous new features that should
> drive more business for ColdFusion hosters.  The following is brief
description of some of those features:

> *       SNMP MIB (Management Information Base)- Provides performance and
availability data so that ColdFusion
> servers can be monitored from within an enterprise systems management
console.
> *       Custom Logs - Provides administrators with the ability to
customize log reports for individual applications
> on a shared hosted ColdFusion server.
> *       Enhanced Hardware Load Balancer Integration - Provides the
capability to run a server agent that is capable
> of passing CF application server load and application health information
to any of the popular hardware load
> balancing devices, providing a higher level of site availability and
better overall load balancing.
> *       Application Monitoring- Enables server administrators to configure
custom monitors that respond to page or
> application-specific thresholds. When a threshold is passed, the server
can send an automatic notification, trigger
> an automated response, or send a notification to an enterprise management
console via SNMP
> *       Application Deployment Services- Provides site archiving features
that enable easy back-up and deployment
> of applications and/or ColdFusion Server configuration data. This
simplifies server(s) management by enabling the
> easy movement of applications between servers, such as from testing to
production or from one production server to
> another in a data center.
> *       Merant ODBC Drivers- ColdFusion 5.0 now includes the Merant ODBC
3.7 drivers on all platforms, including
> new wire protocol drivers which provide a consistently high-performance
interface to all popular data sources.

> New Licensing Terms
>
> The new ColdFusion Server 5 Hosting Service Provider Edition is for web
hosting service providers that provide
> shared hosting services (host multiple ColdFusion applications and/or
sites on a single ColdFusion server) for the
> ColdFusion platform.  Starting with the release of ColdFusion 5, the
End-User License right to host multiple
> ColdFusion applications and/or sites on a single ColdFusion server will
only be included in the ColdFusion 5
> Hosting Service Provider Edition license.   The ColdFusion 5 Enterprise
and Pro End-User License will no longer
> permit multiple ColdFusion applications and/or sites to be hosted on a
single ColdFusion server.   Web hosters that
> are purchasing ColdFusion 5 servers to host multiple ColdFusion
applications and/or sites on a single ColdFusion 5
> server will need to purchase the ColdFusion 5 Hosting Service Provider
Edition.

> Web hosters that provide dedicated ColdFusion hosting services (host one
ColdFusion application and/or site on a
> single ColdFusion server), will be able to continue to host ColdFusion
customers on either a ColdFusion Enterprise
> or Pro server license.
>
> The ColdFusion 5 Hosting Service Provider Edition:
> *       Will be priced on a per CPU basis
> *       Can be purchased directly from Macromedia on a per CPU basis, or
through Macromedia's Commercial Service
> Providers (CSP) License Program that provides payment terms that map to a
Hosting Service Providers business model.

> *       Will also be offered through Macromedia's reseller and distributor
channels.

> In an effort to help our Hosting Partners take advantage of the upcoming
demand for ColdFusion 5 features,
> Macromedia will be providing a special promotional upgrade offer. More
information regarding ColdFusion 5 Hosting
> Edition upgrade promotion, pricing and availability will be released on
April 30, 2001.