Hey,

Does anyone have a good script or method of making a select box contain a
value other than ""?

I am working on a state drop-down in which the first selection is "Pick
State" with a value of "".

What I want to happen is for a javascript screen to pop up (or something
like that--you know the usual CFFORM javascript validation) if a user tries
to submit the form without choosing a state that has a value.  I have seenm
this used many times and even with CFSELECT form fields, but I am having the
worst time trying to implement this.

I want to populate the CFSELECT with a query from a State_Table but do not
want to store a state with a value of "" as not to populate a state field
with NULL answer.

Is there an OnError or someother Javanscript function that could make sure
that a value other than "" was chosen and that the error message could be
configurable.  I know that this is so CF 101, but I have never had to do
this and am pulling my hair out in anger.

Thanks a ton,
BW