Brandon,

The solution to the problem is to NOT use CFFORM for validation.  Use
roll-your-own JavaScripts instead.  You'll have far greater flexibility.

Here's an example of how I was able to make sure a state was selected in a
form:

-----------------snip-------------------------------
<script language="JavaScript"><!--
function validate(form) {
  if (form.state_code.selectedIndex == 0) {
    alert('Please select a state.');
    return false;
  }
  return true;
}
//--></script>

<cfparam name="state_code" default="">

<cfif state_code neq "">

        <cfoutput>
        #state_code#
        </cfoutput>

</cfif>

<CFQUERY NAME="get_states" DATASOURCE="zapconnect_com_sql">
SELECT      STATE_CODE, STATE_NAME
FROM         STATES
ORDER BY  STATE_NAME
</CFQUERY>

<cfoutput>
<form action="#script_name#" onSubmit="return validate(this)">
<select name="state_code">
<option value="">Select a State:
</cfoutput>

<cfoutput query="get_states">
<option value="#state_code#">#state_name#
</cfoutput>

</select>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>