From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 19 July 2001 15:15
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Questions to ask for CF developer

I don't like to give tests to people when I'm talking with them. And I don't
like taking them when I'm interviewing. When someone plops down a test in
front of me ... I ask myself is this the environment I want to work in? And
I've turned down jobs because of it.

And these tests show exactly what? When I'm developing I've got Studio or
MSDN or the web or whatever at my disposal. Is it important to memorize
every
parameter of every command? Or is it better to have the skills to be able to
locate the needed information.

When I'm interviewing someone, I start with having the person tell me what
they developed. I then probe as to how and why the developed it. I also like
to get a feel for design considerations. I might ask how one has handled
large query results being displayed at the client or maybe some browser
compatability issues etc.

It's not 1998 and the supply-side of talent may rule the day, but IMHO
plopping down a test is a mistake.

Bill