>>What if the person doesn't test well?
This is exactly why they should be looked at as a supplement to an
interview.  If you look at it that way you could argue that all forms of
testing are invalid.  I could argue that my degree result does not reflect
my ability because I don't test well.

>>What if the person is having a bad day?
Then they have a bad day!!!  If you give a bad interview then you can't
expect to get the job!  I'm sorry but if I have to interviewees and one is
miles better than the other on the day then they will win....there is no way
I'm going to employ the other one on the hope that they had a bad day.

>>What if the person is a very good programmer but, like myself, is highly
dyslexic and has trouble with written tests?
Then this should be made clear to the interviewer and adjustments should be
made accordingly.

>>What if your test covers material that you never use in the course of your
projects at work?
You should write your tests so that it does cover the areas you are going to
use.  There is no point employing an expert in WDDX if you are never going
to use it.

>>What if the person suffers from stress induced problems triggered by
tests?
As I said before, you should take the results along withe the interview
performance.  Anyway I am not going to employ someone who suffers from
stress induced problems triggered by tests - if they get stressed over a
test then they are likely to get stressed when working to tight deadlines
etc....

Andrew Ewings
Project Manager
Thoughtbubble Ltd
http://www.thoughtbubble.net
United Kingdom
http://www.thoughtbubble.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7387 8890
New Zealand
http://www.thoughtbubble.co.nz/
Tel: +64 (0) 9 488 9131
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Thoughtbubble. This information may be
subject to legal, professional or other privilege and further distribution
of it is strictly prohibited without our authority. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy, distribute, or
retain this message. Please notify us on +44 (0)207 387 8890.

> Properly written tests do have their worth.

What if the person doesn't test well?
What if the person is having a bad day?
What if the person is a very good programmer but, like myself, is highly
dyslexic and has trouble with written tests?
What if your test covers material that you never use in the course of your
projects at work?
What if the person suffers from stress induced problems triggered by tests?

Isn't it a better solution to get someone who understands the material to
talk to the prospective employee instead?

Standardised tests only prove that the person can take tests and memorize
facts.