I guess I'm missing something here, but I thought we were talking about RDS/FTP in the
open/save dialog. I know all this fussing can't be because DW asks you to tell it
where you want any local files stored for each site, that's only a few moments to
declare, and the advantages are awesome. Once you become familiar with the app, you'll
probably see what "goodies" a site definition gets you. It's not all about holding
your hand!

As far as hand coding, you can hand-code to your heart's desire in Dreamweaver. Does
DW prefer you use a site defition? Yes. But I'm not sure how that intereferes with
hand-coding.

And you don't have to wizard anything! You don't have to use anything pre-canned.
Dreamweaver was originally built to appeal to the hand-coder, but with some "canned"
stuff (as someone referred to it) to make life easier.

That being said, we are including HomeSite+ with Dreamweaver MX. So, in this first
encarnation of the merged environments, you have the old IDE at your disposal, and an
opportunity to tell us what about DWMX you want changed in the future. Get in there
and give it the "college try" and tell us what doesn't work for you using DWMX as your
IDE. (And along the way, you might get hooked on it, and decide the site definitions
aren't such a bad thing when all is said and done!)

http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform?6213=6

Vernon Viehe
Community Manager
Macromedia, Inc.