I wanted to talk to some of our most seasoned CF'ers around here before I got back
with you on this. We stepped through what was necessary to set up the RDS connection
and edit files both in CF Studio and DWMX, and what the fundemental differences are.
We think we've boiled it down to a few relevant differences.

1.) You must declare a local root folder:
Keep in mind, you don't have to d/l the whole site to this folder. In fact, you can
view files in the "remote" view so that you're looking at them live on the server.
When you double-click the file, it will appear to open directly in DW (what actually
happens is that DW d/l's the file to the local folder you declared in the definition,
if you chose "Edit files directly on the testing server" in the site wizard, or chose
"Automatically upload files on save" in the regular definition box, DW will upload the
file as soon as you hit Save.) This is in effect the same as editing live on the
server, with the exception that you will have a local copy of whichever file you
edited, saved in a corresponding location in the local folder.

All in all, this doesn't seem to present any barriers to one's workflow, it's just a
different methodology whose results are pretty much the same in both programs.

2. There is no option to use FTP/RDS in the save-as dialog box:
This means that to save & upload to another site/location other than the site
currently chosen, you have to first save it to the corresponding location in the local
root folder of that site, then switch to that site's definition in the files window to
"put" the file. This can require a few extra steps which I can see being a pain if you
need to save the same file to several sites often.

Otherwise, if it's in the current site, then the option to Automatically upload on
save pretty much takes care of this.

If the FTP & RDS Explorer in the save as dialog is important to you, please let us
know by using the Feature Request and Bug Report form at:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform?6213=6

I hope this helps!

Vernon Viehe
Community Manager