>> Compare something like CommonSpot or Spectra to one CM
>> product I saw which submits rich text content from MS Word
>> for inclusion in a predesigned html template using _SMTP_
>> from _within_ MS Word.
>
> Or, for that matter, just compare CommonSpot to Spectra -
> they're radically different, I think. Spectra is essentially a bunch
> of code, which you can use to build your CMS applications.
> CommonSpot, on the other hand, essentially runs out-of-the-box,
> although you can certainly customize it. There's more of an
> up-front cost to CommonSpot than Spectra ($25k vs #15k, I
> think) but the total cost to deploy a CommonSpot solution
> is typically a fraction of that to deliver a similar Spectra solution.

I've (unfortunately?) had little exposure to Spectra and was making the
comparison between the two as both being browser-based (?) solutions as
compared to the afforementioned -- what do I even call that?! ...

Though you make an excellent point. And this is with two companies who
primarily shared the market of ColdFusion shops, not even scratching the
surface of other industry or user-type focused products, like CMS which
target print media companies like newspapers and magazines or CMS that focus
on corporate intranets or CMS which target small businesses and bank on
volume.

And often times all of these variations only help to confuse rather than
clarify the environment in which CM packages are bought and sold ... imho
when you're shopping for a reasonably new technology (5yrs? 10yrs?) is about
the worst time in the world for this sort of confusion (or for that matter
when I'm trying to sell it -- how do I define my target audience? etc.),
though I suppose this is liable to be the state of things in the forseeable
future...

I guess it keeps me busy. :)

Isaac

www.turnkey.to